Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
One pretty cool trick that I use when I know that I'll be doing
some serious low-level macro work is to bring my Bogen
Super-Clamp along.  I'll setup the tripod and attach the clamp
to one of the legs near the ground.  The camera is then mounted
(using a small ball-head) to the clamp.

This gets me as low as I need to go.  If I need lower, I'll just
set the camera on the ground. <g>

Tripods and tripod heads are such a personal thing.  No two
people will agree on "what's best".  I have three tripods and I
favor all three.  My heavily modified go-anywhere backpacking
tripod doubles as a shoulderstock (I must post a picture on my
website of this cool toy) and the legs will actually go
inverted.  My Bogen 3001 is modified to get to ground-level.
The 3021 is just plain too heavy to haul into the woods.  That
three-way head weighs a ton.

I'll go backpacking again with my monopod and the backpacking
tripod.  Made a nice setup.  I'm still working through pictures
taken using the monopod where the sharpness paid off.  Some
lateral fuzzyness once in a while, but suprisingly affective.

AG-oh my aching back-Schnozz