Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:48:01 +1200
Hi folks

Recently I had the pleasure  of the company for a day of a guy from Seattle
and we did a trip to a forest to look at ferns. He had a very new & large C*n*n
digital and some pretty large lenses. His tripod was a Gitzo that was quite a
bit smaller and lighter than mine, and a head on it that I hadn't seen before
(that's not saying much !) which he reckoned was the best thing since sliced
bread. I think it was an Acratech (or something like that) and had a large ball
which he said was very easy to keep clean, and a 45 degree swivelling plane
for getting other camera angles. I didn't have a chance to play with it,
unfortunately; I suspect these heads are rather expensive, but it wouldn't
have bothered my visitor as he did a month here and had a large hired self-
contained camper for a few weeks, and those things don't come cheap either.

Brian.