Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:00:02 +0100
Sorry if my post sounds a bit bizzare, I didn't catch all of this thread which may explain it! My tripod is a pretty old Russian job. It's very strong though and was given to me free so I'm not complaining! It uses a piece of slightly ribbed plastic and this holds my OM-1n perfectly. In fact it also holds a small telescope without slipping too. One thing I could recommend are a few small slivers of rubber or hard foam applied to the cork. I've used this a few times I've been tinkering and found that it is extremely grippy due to the high level of friction. I suppose it doesn't look as nice as cork but it certainly does the job!

All the best,
Gareth.

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi Lama,

There should be a layer of grippy cork glued on the quick-release plate. But sometimes it does not grip too well.

But people sometimes install a bolt or a bolt + bar (I need to check, but I think Shaw writes about this; ask if you want more info.

Brian

Is it me?

I bought a used Bogen 3047 3-way head without instructions.

I bolt the camera onto the quick-release plate securely but when I flip the
camera to take a horizontal shot, the camera rotates around the screw, as if
"voting" for straight down instead of "vertical".

Against my own advice on do-it-yourself photo equipment, I'm thinking of
dropping a bolt in the back of the plate so the OM4 can't rotate.

Am I missing something?

Lama

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke