Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 23:41:45 +1200
This is why John Shaw in his Nature photography books recommends just a
very few tripods, all with the feature in common that you can splay the legs
wide and get the tripod head very close to soil level, camera right way up.

I have the Olympus macro stage and rack, but after reading what Shaw, John
Johns and others (including Gary Reese) have said about vibration, I try to
get close to the subject with only the bare tripod+head if I can. Likewise, any
other form of extension that takes an SLR with flapping mirror, shutter and
aperture shut-down mechanism away from the centre of stability ( the tripod
apex) is likely to reduce vibration control. In my opinion. Lens shutters as in
Koni-Omega etc are a different matter entirely.

Brian