Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:02:37 -0700
The hexagonal plates on my 3047 head snap into place by pushing down a little pin just like the rectangular ones you describe. There is also an additional little spring-loaded lock that can be engaged, after the plate is snapped into place, which keeps the release lever from moving and inadventantly releasing the plate. Seems like a bit of overkill, but that QR plate sure isn't quick releasing when you don't want it to with that lock in place.

I have mixed feelings about QR plates except on already big heavy tripods. Smallish heads with proper thumb wheel design so the tripod screw can be spun in and out with the thumb are almost as fast and a lot lighter.

Moose

Brian Swale wrote:

The hexagonal version I have does not always engage cleanly in the mating
hexagon that is on the tripod. So the camera sometimes looks to be fastened but
isn't. And can fall soon especially when tilted.

Always double check the secureness of the fastening with a good sturdy tug to
make sure it is firmly engaged.

The rectangular Q R plate that came with my Bogen telephoto lens support is
much more secure, and has a spring-loaded pin that releases the locking lever
into the lock position when you actually do get the plate fully home in the
receiver.