Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:20:39 +1200
Hi Lama,

A couple of other things with that Manfrotto / Bogen quick release tripod
head.

The hexagonal version I have does not always engage cleanly in the mating
hexagon that is on the tripod. So the camera sometimes looks to be
fastened but isn't. And can fall soon especially when tilted.

Always double check the secureness of the fastening with a good sturdy tug
to make sure it is firmly engaged.

The rectangular Q R plate that came with my Bogen telephoto lens support
is much more secure, and has a spring-loaded pin that releases the locking
lever into the lock position when you actually do get the plate fully home in
the receiver.

Secondly, some lenses on OMs have too great a diameter at the region just
adjacent to the camera body, and foul the QR plate. So that as you are
tightening the plate on the camera body you are stressing the camera - lens
flange. And maybe severely. I've caught myself out several times doing this.
Having a thick cork layer gets over this; or add a MD or winder to the camera
to increase the distance (but that defeats the anti-vibration method of having
the camera as close as possible to the top of the tripod). Just keep an eye
on that one.

Brian