Re: [OM] OT: TVs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: TVs
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 07:51:03 -0500
On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:59 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

> It's not the features, it's the sheer size, i.e. the part of our visual
> field it fills. With HD, let alone 4K, and a
> viewing distance like yours, it suddenly has a similar apparent size as a
> big theater movie screen. With surround sound,
> the experience is immersive, vs. looking at a little pic in a box.
>
> We have a 63" (I think), and I wouldn't have anything smaller. Viewing on
> my 24" monitor from a couple of feet away, is
> completely different - far less engaging.

I'm with you on this. Our current one is 70" but only 2k. When we bought
it, 4k was a sizable jump in price and there really wasn't any available
content. When it finally dies, we'll end up with 4k because you can't
really buy anything else.

I have a 32" in the bedroom, but that's just because of space limitations.
The viewing experience compared to the big-a$$ Samsung in the living room
is not subtle. I don't mind streaming most movies at home on the big one
(although compression and occasional stream glitches are annoying as hell.)

We also sit about 8 feet away. My wife actually said that if we end up
needing a new one, it's going to be 80". I'm not sure who she actually is,
since nobody's wife ever says "You know what? We need the biggest TV we can
fit through the door without taking the front windows out."

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Anchor, Amateur Radio Newsline

"Never follow anyone. Be your own hero." -- Neil Peart

"The Fountain of Youth is a state of mind" -- The Ides of March, "Age
Before Beauty"

"Deep inside we're all the same." -- Dennis DeYoung/Styx