Re: [OM] OT: TVs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: TVs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:59:24 -0700
On 8/10/2022 6:06 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
Can a guy who still watches a 21 inch TV with a picture tube (yeah, I know) find happiness with a 32 inch
LCD TV? For movies, we have lately been using my wife’s ~1900 x 1000 computer screen. A 32 inch TV
would fit nicely on the stereo cabinet in our living room. We’ve just been on a trip, and the 32
inch TV in the rental house we stayed in seemed big enough, at least watching “character
movies“ rather than scenery movies.

I keep reading how to be a really cool kid, you need at least a 65 inch screen with 4K
and QLEDs and zone brightness and blah blah blah. I’m honestly not sure how
much those features would matter to me.

It's not the features, it's the sheer size, i.e. the part of our visual field it fills. With HD, let alone 4K, and a viewing distance like yours, it suddenly has a similar apparent size as a big theater movie screen. With surround sound, the experience is immersive, vs. looking at a little pic in a box.

We have a 63" (I think), and I wouldn't have anything smaller. Viewing on my 24" monitor from a couple of feet away, is completely different - far less engaging.

We've recently watched a couple of movies at the house of a friend. Her screen is even bigger, newer, likely 4K, and darned if it isn't better to watch, even for a '40s, B&W French film. Next time something on this one dies, I may not repair it . . . (Oddly enough, these things are often easy to repair. I've replaced the DLP chip and a color LED on this one.)

  Of course, being a photographer, they might matter more than I think.

I find cinematography more interesting than with the small TVs. The person doing The Lincoln Lawyer is using all sorts of effects I first encountered in still photography. I find it fascinating, and effective. Just another of endless examples, I find the cinematography of Wes Anderson's movies far more interesting on the big screen; he's got so much going on. A lot of old movies have been restored, and are gorgeous large. The outstanding monochrome tonalities are retained.

But a bigger set would totally dominate our small living room, says my wife.

Yup, that's why ours is covered with a tie died Indonesian sarong when not in use. TV? What TV? Or hang a big print over it, or find your own solution.

  We sit about 8–10 feet from the TV.
As do we.

Those of you who have been through this process, what do you think?

I was happy when we got rid of our last small screen.

Wide Eyed Moose