Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR

Subject: Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 23:12:00 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<I just realized my math is slightly weird, but I'm going to suggest
<that any hope that we're going to magically turn a 5MP camera into
<20MP camera is not realistic.

I have easily doubled the number of pixels with good results on occasion but it
is a bit of a stretch to have 3/4 of all pixels made up out of whole cloth as
is the case with neural network based machine learning up res programs. .  If
the training set contains super matches for the image, not saying it might not
work.  No mathematical algorithm interpolating  pixel values is going to give
as nice a result in such a situation.  The programs are not really finding
useful resolution hidden in the image like with deconvolution, but totally
creating pixels based on machine learning.  A purist might find the former
kosher, but the latter rather objectionable as in rendering a new sky in PS.

Up res, Mike  (not as pure as I used to be)