Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR

Subject: Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:54:44 -0700
At 3/12/2021 11:14 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 3/12/2021 11:37 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>>>This will surprise you (!) but we used to have vigorous discussions about
>>>the E-1 and whether it was worth a darn.  Ken eloquently made the case that
>>>E-1 pixels were special (Pixel Dust), and Moose was having none of it.
>>>Those were fun times.  The camera was always fun to use.  I'm in an
>>>analogous place now running the E-5 into its afterlife.
>>Moose was wrong then and he's still wrong. :)
>
>Also, used to being wrong and comfortable with it.
>
>For the record, my choice in July, 2004 to buy a Canon Digital Rebel, rather
>than an Oly E-1 had nothing to do with pixie dust. There were two primary
>factors.
>
>1. I had purchased a home made OM to EF mount adapter and used it for four
>days on a generously loaned Canon D60. That proved to me that OM lenses could
>be used successfully on digital and that the image files from the camera were
>good. i was already using PS on scans from film, so had some idea about what
>worked.
>
>At that time, Oly was staunchly maintaining that OM glass could/should not be
>used on the E-1. It was only quite a bit later that they relented, made an
>adapter and published lengthy compatibility tables.
>
>2. I wanted to take pictures of all sorts of things with my new camera to be.
>I tested the E-1 and lenses against a Canon in a local shop. The long lens
>available was the original 50-200. Focus was slow to non-existent. Really!
>Pointing at high contrast boxes for film, etc. in a dim corner, the Oly simply
>wouldn't focus. The Canon, with some lens I've long since forgotten, quickly
>and easily focused on anything I pointed it at.
>
>Why would I buy a camera and lens that didn't work all the time? There was at
>the time a firmware hack for the Digital Rebel that made it functionally
>equivalent to the more expensive 10D. I bought a Tamron 28-300 mm zoom for it,
>which focused well in almost all circumstances. Over 70% of my photos with
>that camera were with the 28-300.
>
>With both that and other lenses, I made many photos that I still consider
>excellent.
>
>(3. I REALLY wanted the Oly to be the better camera. It simply wasn't, for my
>purposes.Sure, they fixed it, but I was long gone.)
>
>As to Pixie Dust, I fear I am immune. Out of pure curiosity, I bought used
>E-1, E-300, E-400 and a 14-54 v1 lens, the CCD Wild Bunch. Compared to an
>E-M5II with adapter, I just didn't find any special magic.
>
>Oddly enough, this treasure trove now lives with AGAK, where it is
>appreciated. ð???
>
>My only Oly digital ILCs now are an E-M1 II and an E-PL7. Whoops, no, there's
>an Air-01 around somewhere - Aha, there it is.
>
>P. D. Negated Moose

I concur with much of what Moose said. Except for the pixie dust :-)

I was one of those that did not fully appreciate the E-1. Especially when the
light was not great. The Canon 5D was such an improvement for me over the E-1.
I would rather get the shot than have the potential for some extra color. With
proper processing, I really can't see that much difference.

For example, here is one with the 5D (I have posted before):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D9NWTdp8Y1YcYvrP6

I don't go back too much to the older photos. Mostly if there are people in
them.

In the mean time I thought the A7Riv 61mp was going to be too much, but now I
don't, especially for nature/landscape. Add Topaz Shapen AI and it is great for
hiking. For instance take this shot -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kz5JN2wHjYybzLhz6

Notice the people in the shot? Here is a 100% crop around them -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DcVWD9ZQTkcZYha67

This was shot with the Sony 20mm/1.8 lens. You may have to click the zoom icon
to see the full res. I was surprised how much I could do with that camera and
the 24-105/4 lens when combined with that resolution and Sharpen AI.

pixie bleeding edge - WayneS