Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR

Subject: Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:31:34 -0800
So, I couldn't let this one go without further testing. I'm finding
this to be quite fascinating. I took some test images today with the
E-1, E-300, and E-400. Identical shots. I processed the E-1 image
using Adobe's "Air Pump" to do some side-by-side looking with the
other images. In my initial tests, it appears that the feature gives
an effective increase in image details similar to that of a single
sensor size up. It takes the E-1 up to the E-300 and the E-300 up to
the E-400.

But a funny thing happened along the way...

The "Enhance" feature largely fixes a problem with the CCD images that
has been the bane of my existence. Halos and white lines at
high-contrast edges. This problem almost completely disappears with
the enhance feature. I suspect it may have to do with the remapping of
the dual-greens which then allows for a more modern converter
algorithm that works a bit better than what is required for a 4-cell
merge.

Regardless, the difference between the E-1 files (straight, enhance,
enhance-supersized) is significant. I'm not seeing any real
significant improvement with the GX85 or A7ii files, but the E-1 files
are MUCH better with either enhance or enhance-supersize. I've got
more than a few really creative and useful tricks to maximize
sharpness and usability of the E-1 files, but this certainly is worth
the extra effort.

When I oversharpen to find artifacts, I can get a clearer idea of how
the algorithms work, and it isn't uniform. That's probably the biggest
factor as it is variable as to what it does. Some parts of the image
get better results than other parts.

More to follow, but it would be proper to say that I'm now very
interested in the feature. It makes the E-1 quite a bit more usable
than it was before.

AG Schnozz