Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR

Subject: Re: [OM] Adobe bringing Gigapixel type function to ACR and then LR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:24:11 -0800
JDubs wrote:
> I haven't pursued the Enhance thing because I'm still CS6, but I did
> download Topaz AI.  I've come to the same conclusion.  I've been printing
> 13x19 prints from E-1 shots like mad.  I'm fairly astonished.

I'm highly likely to get it myself before too long. I'm liking what I
see with it. Moose might get another convert into the First Baptist
Church of Topaz.

> I took the E-1 in hand to see I could remember how to use it.  Yes.  And
> no.  Sigh.

I'd say that at this point, shooting with the E-1 is an acquired
taste. The grip shape is still best ever, and the sound is sweet
beyond sweet. And I really like how the native "curves" are. The
exposure system almost always works to protect the highlights so the
resulting images have a much richer look SOOC than pretty much
anything else. The E-300 is sometimes similar, but the E-400 and E-3
will definitely expose higher up and the gamma curve isn't the same
when it does that. If I expose all four cameras with the same exact
settings, there are differences, but nothing too dramatic. But if I
let the cameras choose the exposure, it's all over the boards. Add the
GX85 and A7ii into the mix and my exposures can vary by three stops.

After having a more than brief dalliance using the 12-60 SWD on the
E-1, I'm back to using the 14-54 (mk1) on it. Other than the
distortion at 14mm, I think that lens-camera combination is really the
cat's meow. I like the 12-60 on the other E-bodies, but it just
doesn't feel right on the E-1. And it's a combination that is
extremely stable to hold and shoot. I forgot just how low of a shutter
speed I can shoot that camera handheld. IBIS helps other cameras match
what I can do with the E-1 with 14-54. I might be slightly
exaggerating, but not by much.

In other news, I might be up for a brief Iowa Zuikofest probably in
May. It looks like I'll be driving a Eau Haul down from Alaska about
that time and I might take an extra day or two to visit a couple of
friends before flying back. I'll bring cameras with me.

AK Schnozz