Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:15:17 +0800
Andrew Dacey wrote:

> On 9/19/01 10:49 PM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>

> Was that
> a completely new system (what was included?) or was it just a processor and
> motherboard upgrade? If it was just a upgrade, then you can't really compare
> that with the cost of buying a completely new system. You could use
> incremental upgrades though as justification for one new system over
> another.

$600 is the price for the whole system with keyboard, mouse, 4-8-32 CD
R/W, 1.4G Athlon, 266MHz FSB Mother board, 256MB DDR RAM, IBM 40GB DMA
100HD, Lan card, 32M TNT2 64 video card, casing and power supply.

> A big question with the performance issue is what do you need the
> performance for? If it's just light office work and internet use, then you
> don't need a 1.4ghz machine. For the vast majority of home users, they only
> have as powerful a machine as they do because of gaming performance, or
> because of not knowing what they need and letting themselves be talked into
> whatever the salesperson says they need.

I'm very happy with my 500MHz K6-2 for office work or even handle 27MB
(max from my LS2000 at 24 bit color) photo editing. The problem was I
just bought a Digital Video before a trip with my family. I found we
did very bad on the videos and they need lots of editing and adding
background music to make them better. Then I bought a Studio DV for
capture and editing, at the beginning I try to use my 500MHz K6-2 but
life is short I can wait so long for the processing time. Especially
when I want to generate MPEG-1 video to be burn into VCD. It took over
ten times of time to generate (i.e. one hour of video need over ten
hours to generate the MPEG file). To be more reasonable I need a
5000MHz PC but I can't so I bought what I can afford.

> Digital imaging and multimedia work (video, 3-d, audio) are of course a
> completely different matter.

Exactly!

C.H.Ling