Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:24:15 -0300
On 9/19/01 10:49 PM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If a Mac G4 run twice the speed of PC that means my Athlon 1.4G is
> still faster than the G4 even in Photoshop ;-) What about the price of
> a G4 867MHz? My PC cost less than $600 without monitor.

I think that you need to consider more things than just the sticker price of
the computer. A big one would be the product life of the machine, how long
will you use it for before you need to upgrade? Another factor would be what
style of upgrading do you do? Do you tend to buy whole systems or do you
tend to upgrade specific parts as needed? I personally think that $600
figure sounds low, unless prices are very different where you are. Was that
a completely new system (what was included?) or was it just a processor and
motherboard upgrade? If it was just a upgrade, then you can't really compare
that with the cost of buying a completely new system. You could use
incremental upgrades though as justification for one new system over
another.

Of course there's also the potential question of how productive you'll be
with different systems and how that figures into the equation.

I'm not trying to start any flame wars here. Personally, I think this is a
set of questions that people have to answer for yourself. My solution (MacOS
and Linux) may not be a good solution for someone else. All I'm saying is
that there are other aspects to consider in the price/performance comparison
other than just the initial cost, and "performance" can mean a great number
of things. A big question with the performance issue is what do you need the
performance for? If it's just light office work and internet use, then you
don't need a 1.4ghz machine. For the vast majority of home users, they only
have as powerful a machine as they do because of gaming performance, or
because of not knowing what they need and letting themselves be talked into
whatever the salesperson says they need.

Digital imaging and multimedia work (video, 3-d, audio) are of course a
completely different matter.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx