Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:43:57 +0800
I know I will be flamed ;-) okay just an example - for software, I just
bought a Pinnacle Studio DV. Pinnacle system provide some very good and
cheap solution for PC, does Mac has something like that. There is also a
very good MPEG encoder from http://www.tmpgenc.com/e_main.html which is
better than lots of shareware I have tried and most important... it is free!

For hardware, I think you cannot have 512MB RAM for Mac at the price Jim
Brokaw mentioned ($40!). How about the hard disk? I think Mac uses SCSI
interface (correct me if I'm wrong) and they are more expensive than IDE,
same case for the SCSI CD R/W?

I know very little about Mac, just one question, do you think the iMac is
good enough to handle the very speed demanding DV editing. The Athlon 1.4G
PC seems a bit slow to me. Although the bench mark shown my Athlon is three
time faster than my PIII 450 in office. (Actually, without the ad of
hardware encoder, my Athlon can capture video at 7.5MB/s to my hard disk
without any frame drop, but it just can't capture 640x480 at 16 bit color
and 25fps).

C.H.Ling