Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:29:01 -0300
On 9/20/01 1:15 AM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> $600 is the price for the whole system with keyboard, mouse, 4-8-32 CD
> R/W, 1.4G Athlon, 266MHz FSB Mother board, 256MB DDR RAM, IBM 40GB DMA
> 100HD, Lan card, 32M TNT2 64 video card, casing and power supply.

Wow, definitely some price differences. I did a quick workup from a local
shop's site that usually has good prices. I'm on the east coast of Canada
and a similar system would easily run me around $900 US.

> I'm very happy with my 500MHz K6-2 for office work or even handle 27MB
> (max from my LS2000 at 24 bit color) photo editing. The problem was I
> just bought a Digital Video before a trip with my family. I found we
> did very bad on the videos and they need lots of editing and adding
> background music to make them better. Then I bought a Studio DV for
> capture and editing, at the beginning I try to use my 500MHz K6-2 but
> life is short I can wait so long for the processing time. Especially
> when I want to generate MPEG-1 video to be burn into VCD. It took over
> ten times of time to generate (i.e. one hour of video need over ten
> hours to generate the MPEG file). To be more reasonable I need a
> 5000MHz PC but I can't so I bought what I can afford.

Yep, digital video is an even worse hog than digital photo. I'm trying to
convince myself that if I upgraded my mac then I'd do more digital video and
3-d work, but it's hard to say! As it is though, photoshop runs fine on my 3
year old 266mhz G3, I recently upgraded the ram to 384mb and now it's great
for working with 50mb files.

Unfortunately, I'm at one of those nasty catch-22 situations where I need to
get some better gear in order to get paid to do this sort of work but I
can't afford the gear unless someone was paying me to do that sort of work!

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx