Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:31:10 -0300
On 9/19/01 10:43 AM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know I will be flamed ;-) okay just an example - for software, I just
> bought a Pinnacle Studio DV. Pinnacle system provide some very good and
> cheap solution for PC, does Mac has something like that. There is also a
> very good MPEG encoder from http://www.tmpgenc.com/e_main.html which is
> better than lots of shareware I have tried and most important... it is free!

Haven't played with video on the mac for ages but here goes. All current
macs have firewire included and come with iMovie for free, which I've heard
good things about (especially for a free editing program).

> For hardware, I think you cannot have 512MB RAM for Mac at the price Jim
> Brokaw mentioned ($40!). How about the hard disk? I think Mac uses SCSI
> interface (correct me if I'm wrong) and they are more expensive than IDE,
> same case for the SCSI CD R/W?

No current mac uses SCSI. They dropped SCSI completely a few years ago.
Internally, it's the same IDE bus that you'll find on a PC. Externally, it's
the same USB and Firewire connectors, so the only concern for those devices
is drivers to make them work with the system. As for ram, again, it's the
same stuff used by PC's. I just recently dropped an extra 256mb of pc-133
into my 3 year old G3, works fine.

> I know very little about Mac, just one question, do you think the iMac is
> good enough to handle the very speed demanding DV editing. The Athlon 1.4G
> PC seems a bit slow to me. Although the bench mark shown my Athlon is three
> time faster than my PIII 450 in office. (Actually, without the ad of
> hardware encoder, my Athlon can capture video at 7.5MB/s to my hard disk
> without any frame drop, but it just can't capture 640x480 at 16 bit color
> and 25fps).

Haven't done any majour video capture in awhile, so I can't really comment.
The biggest determination here though is the speed of your drives. If you're
concerned about video capture then SCSI or Firewire drives are the way to
go. While UDMA-100 IDE drives may give a good speed on paper, IDE is still
very dependant on the CPU. SCSI and Firewire are far less CPU intensive, so
you'll see better video capture speeds since the CPU is freed up to deal
with the data, instead of the drives. I suspect this may be why you found
you needed a hardware encoder card to be added, that moves the encoding off
the CPU, which lets the CPU just contend with shuffling data around.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx