RE: [OM] Re: My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers]

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers]
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:18:29 -0400
Craig,
Thanks for your kind remarks, I've received many and it does
my heart good. (:>)
I MAY do some filtering in the next week, but what bothers
me is the tone of the posts.  That would remain...

I, too couldn't believe Larry' callous reply concerning his
question, he even posted a follow-up to the list directly
this evening.  Man, he's just like my brother.  For me, I
think that is one of the big problems, Tris, Larry and Dirk
just don't listen, just like my brother.  My brother's sons
have no respect for him and come to me with their problems
and their joys.  My brother is left out in the cold and
can't figure out why.

As far as the items at Midwest:
Auto Bellows in box(~$150), Slide copier in box(~$75), M.15V
Control Grip in Box($?), OM-2n  Black w/50/1.4 (looked good
and ~$250 I believe), 300/4.5 in case - lens is MC (if I
remember correctly, less than $300).  Hope this helps, if
you talk to Midwest, be sure and converse with Abdi.

Brian P. Huber

Cunningham
> Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 11:33 PM
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [OM] Re: My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER
enablers]

> Brian,
>
> I'm truly sorry to see you (as well as Tom Scales, Gary
> Reese, and others)
> leave the list. It seems that all of the most
knowledgeable
> and helpful
> members have decided that the abusive OT-posting people
that
> obviously have no
> personal friends (read: can't develop friendships that
> require direct personal
> interaction) have made this list unusable.
>
> Thomas Bryhn probably said it best (and most directly):
>      "Find yourself a shoulder to cry on, not a keyboard.
> Seriously, I don't
> understand why your "real feelings" have to be vented
here,
> despite others
> (supposedly unreal?!?) feelings to keep this an OM
centered
> forum. You may
> feel you know a few people here, but we're also 250
strangers
> listening in,
> and I don't see anything "natural and normal" with OT
> personal feelings in
> such a group. I really hope this list is not your only
> contact with the
> outside world. That would be quite sad, but I can't help
> wondering."  >>> end
> quote <<<
>
> I don't know if you subscribe to the digest, but if not,
have
> you considered
> using the filtering feature with your email to just
> auto-trash the email from
> the worst offenders? I use a web-based email service, and
> even its crude
> filtering works quite well. I've added the following short
> list of addresses
> to delete, and I'm already enjoying a cleaner Inbox.
>
> Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx    (Jim Timpe)
> tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Tris Schuler)
> Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx (Larry)
> wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dirk Wright the "dragon boy")
>
> If this doesn't eventually work for me, I'll also be
dropping
> the list.
>
> I sent posts off-list as well as on-list to certain
members
> asking them to refrain.  One member had previously sent me
> an off-list question which I hadn't answered because of
his
> continuous inconsiderate posts.  That member then sent me
an
> off-list post stating that he wouldn't stop the obnoxious
> posts until I answered his question. There was no <g> in
his
> message.   Geez. Get the hint man.
>
> This is unbelievable. I guess that manners and civility
> aren't necessary for
> people who hide behind their computers.
>
> I hope that you can recover from your injury, and that the
> relationship with
> your brother can eventually mend also.
>
> But, I do know
> that the nasty, snide and inconsiderate remarks that have
> taken place on this list in the past week have convinced
me
> that I do not enjoy this list any more.  Some - no many-
of
> the posts from certain individuals have shown a complete
> disregard for history, knowledge and just plain hard work
by
> some "older" list members. It just isn't the time in my
life
> to deal with the nastiness that I have witnessed the past
> week.  It wasn't the OT posts, it was the intolerance of
> certain members to others asking for moderation of the
> nature of the posts. As I mentioned to one member who
> contacted me off-list, one of the posters reminds me of
> Howard Stern -"if you don't like it, go away".  I am.
>
> I will stay on this list until this time next week.  That
> will give certain members that desire, the ability to
retain
> my address and correspond.  I did stop in Midwest Photo
this
> past Monday and saw some neat new items.  Members wishing
> info can correspond with me directly, I will not post to
the
> list.  I will not respond to any messages posted to me
> on-list.
>
> I am interested in hearing about what Midwest Photo has
for sale.

> Don't remark that I will be back.  I won't.  I have made
my
> decision after a lot of reflection.  What I have seen has
> not been nice and it has been very unpleasant for me.
>
> Farewell my friends,
> Brian P. Huber
>
> Again Brian, I certainly respect your decision to walk
away

http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html >