RE: [OM] camera plating

Subject: RE: [OM] camera plating
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:13:08 +1100
>>What in the world is "black chrome," I wonder?
>>
>>---
>>Scott
>
>It's a further evolution of the regular chrome plating process. It's flat
>black in color.
>
>FYI, if those parts were in fact black chrome plated, it isn't really
>required to paint over it, unless gloss black is required. The chrome finish
>is many times as durable as any paint. I think Leitz developed it, or had a
>hand in developing black chrome for thier cameras many years ago.
>--
>Be Seeing You.
>Dirk Wright

I think Leitz used it on the Leica M's from the M4-P onwards, after they
added the red spot but discontinued the script Leica engraving on the top
plate. Leica purists dislike it because it doesn't brass-up as elegantly as
a proper black enamel model - a nicely brassed old M can be worth more than
a near mint one!
Andrew