[OM] camera plating

Subject: [OM] camera plating
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:09:44 -0800
> Actually, I was considering just the bottom plate - I've removed lots of
> those, but haven't considered taking off the top!  I have an otherwise good
> looking OM2, but the bottom plate has a lot of brassing and I was just
> thinking there must be some way (aside from paint!!!!) to restore that nice
> black lustre!   I do remember an electro plating kit years ago - but
> searching the Internet, I couldn't find anything like it.  Lots of plating
> information for sidearms though!
>
> Jim Caldwell

I can add to what Dirk said that you might check out Brownell's for
plating supplies and information. They sell to gunsmiths. Besides the
electrolytic plating they also sell chemicals that you can use without
setting up a chemistry lab and endangering the neighborhood. In any case
the real secret to plating is preparation of the surface. All of the old
surface must be "totally" removed down to bare metal along with any
minute residue. Then you will also want to polish out scratches you made
removing the old finish. All in all a very time consuming process that
requires a substancial investment in tools. I would practice on
something else before attempting a camera to see if the results would
warrant the effort. Simple black lacquer might be the best alternative
for a DIY'er. Try a model store.

Mike