Re: [OM] camera plating - correction

Subject: Re: [OM] camera plating - correction
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:20:37 -0500
>I wonder the same, but here's the passage I was referring to....
>
>"As befits a top-quality camera, the finish, like that of the OM-4,
comprises
>a double layer of matte black paint over black chrome plating. The result is
>unusual durability in use."
>               --- Yoshihisa Maitani 'Technically Speaking' article on OM-2
>SP in Olympus'  'Vision Age' #3, 1985

Uh, actually, I stand corrected. My previous post was wrong. The black chrome
finish is porous and absorbs paint, making it an ideal painting surface. From
Miller Plating:

 "Black Chrome plating can be for functional or decorative applications and
offers properties similar to regular chrome plating. The surface has a great
degree of microporosity and is able to absorb oil and paint. Finishing the
black chrome with oil, wax, or clear lacquer will increase the finishes
wearability and will further darken the surface.
Features and Benefits:
Good Durability
Low reflectivity
Good wearability