RE: [OM] camera plating

Subject: RE: [OM] camera plating
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:01:39 -0800
Jim,

If this is anything like the stuff sold to Model Railroaders, it's a
chemical blackening agent that has widely variable results on different
metals. You'd have to disassemble the camera and soak the the parts in it to
get any sort of decent results, and I'm not sure it would hold up well under
normal use conditions.

I'd assume, from looking at my own OM-4, and from the results of wear I've
seen on other black camera parts, that the finish used is some sort of
enamel or lacquer. The only exception I can think of might be the T series
bodies. It's possible (based on descriptions I've read that say the 'black'
finish is more a dark gray, and the way my 'champagne' 4T looks and feels)
that some sort of 'surface treatment' is used. Beats me what it might be
though.

---
Scott Gomez