Re: [OM] Washed out sky with Cir Polarizer on OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] Washed out sky with Cir Polarizer on OM-PC
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:59:32 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 08:45:58AM +0000, Faisal Khan wrote:
> I tried the polarizer to get a darker sky but the sky
> came out real white in the prints.  What could be the
> reason.
>
> How can you predict the colour of the sky while seeing
> in the view finder and rotating the polarizer.

Faisal,

Other people's tips are valid. However, it's also possible that you may
be overexposing, through using the camera's meter reading with the
polarizer in its 'darkest' position. TTL metering causes this problem
with polarizers, although it works well enough with other types of
filter.

Try taking an exposure reading with the polarizer rotated so it has
minimum effect, then use that reading to control the exposure after you
have rotated the polarizer to darken the sky.

Regards,

=====
Ray