Re: [OM] Recordings (was Oly Hole)

Subject: Re: [OM] Recordings (was Oly Hole)
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:56:55 +0200
Denton Taylor wrote:

> >>Only a Rip Van Winkle would not be aware that anything analog is on the
> wane. My analogy for the waning of OM is the LP. I almost always prefer the
> sound of a LP to a CD when I have the option of choosing between them. I
> don't have the option of that choice much anymore. Fortunately, as LPs have
> died, CDs have also become better-sounding. Digitally reprocessed
> recordings of 78s on CD I now feel are superior to the original.  New
> recordings on CD are more listenable than they were 10 years ago. None of
> this makes me enjoy my LPs any less.  I'll still enjoy them when the CD is
> dead (and I think CD is likely to be dead a long time before the LP is no
> longer viable). The vagaries of "progress" are the way of things.>>
>
> You should be aware that LP records, like Oly OM, is staging a comeback.
>
> More records are being released on vinyl than ever before. Several
> 'cottage' companies have sprung up to supply audiophile vinyl.
>
> I supply steam hose to an MCA pressing plant that was about closed. They
> inform me business is better than any time over the past few years.
>
> Turntable sales are up something like 40%.
>
> There are a lot of parallels between digital music and digital photography.
> Neither seems to capture the full analog spectrum of information, although
> the CD is far closer than the CCD. Although certainly it seems that at some
> point digital should succeed and surpass analog.
>
> Regards,
>
> Denton Taylor
> _______________________________
> Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com

There is unfortunately a tendency in the market to claim that if
something is digital then it is better. Not because of a better
final result, but because it is digital (circular argument).

Unfortunately some customers seems to buy that kind of arguments,
eventually getting worse results for more money. I once had the
misfortune to work in a company getting caught in that one.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"