Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:23:36 +0200
John Austin seem to realize what one don't want to believe:

> This marketing direction does seem sad, but true. As much as most of the
> list members, myself definitely included, would like to see the continuance
> and expansion of the OM system, things do not look good. Oly continues to
> drop equipment from the available category, the T20, the T32, a couple of
> different lenses this past year, a number of the accessories. Things are
> getting worse, not better. Their refusal to repair or supply parts for what
> they consider obsolete equipment (we all certainly disagree with their
> assessment, I think) is just another example. I suppose that we will have a
> definitive answer within the next two months. I think it will be pretty safe
> to assume that if at least some new OM system pieces are not forthcoming at
> Photokina, Oly will have made their position painfully clear.

Sob, sob! You are probably right.
I think definitely that Olympus believe that the future are in the digital
market, in other words in producing scanners, digital cameras as well as making
compact cameras. Does one have to admit that the battle is over? Will the future
SLR's be only N*k*n, C*n*n, M*n*lta (shudder)? As *we* all know they are
inferior to the OM system... The problem seem to be that *we* are the only ones
who knows! ;-)
Maybe it should be the list members' mission to educate and convert the rest of
the fallen photographers...

Seriously, what can one do when there are no one to repair the OM-* bodies or
the Zuiko lenses? John H.: you cannot *ever* stop with your business! ;-)

Ulf, I recall you mentioned something about "your service guy" (don't remember
how you put the words), do you know this guy? I assume you mean at Intervision
(authorized Olympus service in Sweden)? I have been to their website a few
times, and as far as I know they still do the old stuff of repairing and service
(bodies and lenses). Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Do you happen to know what their plans and thoughts are for the future? After
all, to me it seems that there are fewer OM users than ever, and I don't think
they will keep doing this if there are no business for it. Just a few weeks ago,
in a newsgroup, a guy wondered how much one could sell his body for. And
Scandinavian Photo (for non Scandinavians: a mail-order company who also uses
the Internet, big on the photo market located in Sweden) don't want any used
*or* new Olympus stuff, simply because they can't sell. (Shudder again)

Well, maybe I am all upset because of John Austin's email. Ah, let us smile and
say like the ones down under: "No worries mate!" (Or?)

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen