Re: [OM] Bats in flight photography (was Batty)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bats in flight photography (was Batty)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:57:34 +0200
John Gardner wrote:

> BTW they don't bite and they don't carry any disease
> you can catch (UK bats we're talking here).

As UK and Ireland being rabid-free countries, I guess you and our Irish
mates are safe. In central Europe, though, as much as 1/3 of the population
in certain areas can be infected. Even in Denmark (very close to my house
and "my" bats) many populations have this terrible disease. Swedish
biologists are just waiting for that first rabid-infected bat to appear.
Rabid-free today, Sweden and Norway may very well in some years have this
plague.

Just wanted to make this clear, so all you out there in continental Europe
and (possibly many other places of this world): DON'T pick up a bat without
thick gloves etc.

Ulf Westerberg