Re: [OM] Off topic - Bats in flight photography (was Batty)

Subject: Re: [OM] Off topic - Bats in flight photography (was Batty)
From: John Gardner <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 08:07:42 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Radar uses radio waves. Bats don't emit radio waves. Sonar uses sound
> waves. Most recent articles on bats I have seen don't use either word
> because, technically, neither one is really appropriate. They usually use
> "echo-location".

Winsor,

You are correct. But for all public relations jobs I do and for the
benefit of the uninitiate, I use the word 'radar' because people
immediately know what you mean. Bats do indeed use ultra-sound which, in
UK bats, ranges from 22kHz to 110kHz.They use their large ears to listen
to the returning echo and build up a picture of what's around them from
the sounds - hence 'echo-location'. If only man could invent a radar that
was anywhere near as efficient as bats.....

John