Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 17:44:57 -0500
At 09:49 AM 7/12/1998 -0400, you wrote:

>Warren Kato  <WKato@xxxxxxx>  pointed out:
>>  >>
>>Look at the most recent PopPhoto.  [Olympus] bought the most expensive two
>>pages in the magazine, the inside cover and page one.  But alas, it's for
>the
>>DL-600L digital.
>>
>Actually I find this encouraging.  The whole industry is clearly moving
>toward digital. I have and use an Oly D300L digital P&S and a somewhat
>low-end digital darkroom with limited scanning capabilities and PhotoShop.
>There are some real advantages to digital that we have probably hashed over
>a dozen times.  I believe Olympus can be a leader in both.  Look a Sinar.
>Through partnerships with Leaf and others, they have an excellent lineup in
>the LF world.  Oly could do the same.  Besides, the 600L is a neat camera
>:-)
>
>John P

Warren, John, and Oly Shooters all:

I have a hard time worrying about the future of OM. I'm about 95ertain
that the 600L and such like is the future of OM, or at least of Olympus. No
militia is going to confiscate my OM's, or my BMW 2002, or my LPs.  OM will
be dead only when something better is more desirable and affordable to use.

Only a Rip Van Winkle would not be aware that anything analog is on the
wane. My analogy for the waning of OM is the LP. I almost always prefer the
sound of a LP to a CD when I have the option of choosing between them. I
don't have the option of that choice much anymore. Fortunately, as LPs have
died, CDs have also become better-sounding. Digitally reprocessed
recordings of 78s on CD I now feel are superior to the original.  New
recordings on CD are more listenable than they were 10 years ago. None of
this makes me enjoy my LPs any less.  I'll still enjoy them when the CD is
dead (and I think CD is likely to be dead a long time before the LP is no
longer viable). The vagaries of "progress" are the way of things.

So the future of OM is not in Olympus' hands entirely;  partly it's in our
hands. Let's just keep shooting and enjoying the bounty that we have.
Sorry for the pie-in-the-sky homily.

Joel