Re: [OM] re: FAQ

Subject: Re: [OM] re: FAQ
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 17:41:28 -0500
At 03:12 PM 7/12/1998 -0400, Lee you wrote in part:
>Finally, HTML/hyperlinks discourages people from
>reading the entire FAQ.  By trying to get people to read through the
>entire FAQ from cover to cover, I hope to cut down on people asking the
>same questions over and over in the list.
>
>Now, with all that said, I *do* see the benefits of a fully (or even
>partially) hyperlinked FAQ.  In the future, I might start developing a
>more HTML-ized version, but only if I can be convinced it is worth the
>extra effort.  I wouldn't do it all at once, either.  I'd phase it in
>over time.  Soooo, let me know what y'all think on this matter.  But be
>warned... I'm hard to convince :)
>
>Cheers,
>--Lee

Hi Lee,

I question somewhat your assumption that hyperlinks discourage people from
reading through an entire document. *Length* discourages people from
reading through a document in its entirety. While it's true that the WWW
creates a desire for quick gratification, a document which provides
worthwhile information establishes by its nature a context for more
disciplined reading. Personally, I think the FAQ is very worthwhile; it has
literally affected how I have spent some of my time and money.  As such I
think it provides its own context for disciplined and sustained reading.  I
don't think you need to worry that hyperlinks will subvert your aims.  One
might also argue that allowing something to be more awkward in order to
force readers to regard or engage it in a particular way is unworthy of a
high-quality piece of work. In the rhetoric of hypertext, hyperlinks, used
judiciously, have a formal logic which interweaves with and enhances the
content of a piece;  not to provide these links and exploit them can be
construed as obscurantism.

Furthermore, it is clear from the number of questions on the list about
information provided in the FAQ among people who should be aware of the FAQ
that your intentions are not being realized. Therefore, I would urge you to
reconsider the assumption that holding back hyperlinks forces people to
read more carefully and at length. I'm not saying the opposite assumption
is true, but it might be worth the experiment to find out.  Even if it's a
toss up, things are no worse and the end product is probably better in itself.

As you say, however, it's a LOT of work. If you don't wish to do it for
that reason, I don't blame you. Why should you have to?  But the other
reasons you give for not doing so I don't think hold up well.

With sincere admiration,

Joel