Re: [OM] re: FAQ

Subject: Re: [OM] re: FAQ
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Jul 1998 14:09:40 +1000
"R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net
and spake thusly:

> In your message dated: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:15:24 -0800 you write:
> >
> >Chris is right: this would be my number one suggestion as well,
> >closely followed by WordPerfect and FrameMaker -- which are not
>
> Have you ever looked at the prices for these for Unix?  You seriously
> think I could convince my university to get WP or FrameMaker just for
> the FAQ?  And isn't that using a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail,
> anyway?

Oh, Goddess, what have we started?

I certainly wouldn't espouse using any format for a mere FAQ that
couldn't be edited from vi.  (or EMACS, but don't start me on *that*
argument!).

\begin{digression}
To jump back to the argument on hyperlinkage, personally I prefer one
big document with *internal* links.   Reading a FAQ (or anything else)
made up of dozens of crosslinked "virtual pages" is a real drag.
\end{digression}

I'd find flat ASCII preferable to anything more heavyweight than a
minimal markup langauge like TeX or HTML (prior to recent
bastardizations).

Substance over style, please.

cjb.

p.s. Is it too late for Godwin's Law?
p.p.s. Is it true that Hitler used FrameMaker to write _Mein_Kampf_?
p.p.p.s.  Lee, I hereby offer to provide software to convert the
        FAQ as it stands to (basic) HTML.

--
| Christopher Biggs email:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | One of the founding membata,|
| Stallion Technologies, Queensland, Australia | Society for Creative Pluri. |