Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:37:12 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
>John, I agree with you, digital is the right way to go. I am waiting for an
>OM digital back that can be used on OM cameras or a digital OM camera that
>can use all OM lenses and accessories.

  Digital certainly has it's place in today's world, but "the right way to go"?
It sounds as if you mean instead of film/print photography. If so, that's a bit
of an overstatement. The print quality and cost of digital prints is still far
from what we get from normal negative/postive imaging. I'm not saying digital
isn't a good thing, it's just far from taking over film.
 As far as Olympus making an OM digital back, I wouldn't hold your breath.They
are dropping items such as t20's and T32's off their list, why would they turn
around and add an accessory as expensive as a digital back? Unless they issue
the much dreamed about mid-priced OM, I think you could bet your house you'll
not see a digital back from Olympus. Nice idea, though. In fact, there IS a
company that expects to release soon a digital insert for 35mm SLR's. I haven't
seen pics yet, but assume the brain will go where the 35 canister sits and a
sort of screen will lay across the film plane. don't ask me how they expect
to "advance" the frames :)
 IMHO (as all of this is, of course), I beleive Oly's success in digital and
point and shoots is WHY OM is dying. Let's face it, the general population is
getting lazy. They want a camera that does "everything" for them. If someone
came up with a camera where the didn't have to press the shutter button, they'd
be no.1. Many Pros look at the the 35mm as a backup camera to their medium
format cameras. Those that don't either use N*k*n or C*n*n AF's or N*k*n manuals
because of the fact N*k*n lens are interchangable. I'm afraid OM died with
the failure of the OM-77. Had Oly made a successful interchangable lens AF
slr with
OM mount, we'd still be in business.
 Sorry for the the length of this. I've been watching all the threads
lately, and just sort of summed up MHO here. Don't want to see OM die,
either. We can
only hope there will be people like John H. out there to keep our cameras
alive for years to come :)

                                                      enjoy,
                                                       Brad