Re:[OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re:[OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:29:57 -0400
John Austin wrote:
>Oly continues to
>drop equipment from the available category, the
T20, the T32, a couple of
>different lenses this past year, a number of the
accessories.
As far as I know, T20 is still produced.  Only one
lens, the 85mm/2, was
dropped from production.  Only the T32 was dropped
although a few
accessories associated with flashes are dropped.
>Their refusal to repair or supply parts for what
>they consider obsolete equipment (we all
certainly disagree with their
>assessment, I think) is just another example.
I should point out that a friend of mine had her
OM-2 repaired in Japan in
May.  Hers had a broken meter which Oly Japan
replaced.  She was able to get
a broken meter on/off lever replaced.  I saw her
repaired and cleaned OM-2
which looked much newer than the same camera I saw
last Christmas.

I recall that when Olympus Japan started selling
the OM2000 in Japan, their
service centers offered to sell the OM2000 at a
reduced price (better than
the Yodobashi price) with any OM body as a
trade-in.  They might have gotten
some parts from those trade-ins.

I would also like to point out that the way
Olympus Japan (actually its
sales company separate from Olympus Optical which
manufactures Olympus
products) is selling the OM system and Olympus
America and other
subsidiaries are selling the OM system cameras are
not the same.  Olympus
Japan Sales was advertising the OM2000 through one
page ad in Asahi Camera
and a few other magazines devoted to classic
cameras.  In Japan there are
recently printed (last summer) OM system brochures
readily available.
Olympus Japan supports Olympus Camera Club and has
the club office space at
Olympus Plaza.  The club members get a substantial
discount on repairs, and
my friend joined the club just to get a discount.
Even with the membership
fee added, it was cost effective for her.

What puzzles me is why Olympus Japan is not doing
anything about the
inadequate marketing and promotion efforts by
their subsidiaries.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx