Re: [OM] (More) Glorious Imperfection (eye test II) [was Painterly vinta

Subject: Re: [OM] (More) Glorious Imperfection (eye test II) [was Painterly vintage Lenses]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 08:53:36 -0700
At 8/8/2022 09:21 PM, Moose wrote:
>I'm continuing my project of making sample shots with various perfectly
>imperfect lenses. It's primarily for me. I've taken various photos with
>various of these lenses, but never really had clear in my mind which does
>what, at what apertures. I do think I'm starting to get some moderate ideas.
>
>The last batch were 50-ish mm lenses. This is 28 and 35 mm.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Soft%20Focus/SweetnVelvet/SoftnSweet.htm>
>
>Cross Eyed Moose

Thanks for the great comparison. For me, I don't think I'm quite as interested
in the soft look. None of the LBs look all that exciting (cross eyed for sure).
They almost feel like too much attempt to create an effect. I also know that
the composition really makes a difference and what I struggle with the most.

My own interest is more in the line of what Toby Marshall has been doing. For
one example
https://toby-marshall.com/galleries/bokeh-tales/fujinon-55mm-f1-6/

In my busy-ness trying to sell my house, I have not given much time to this
interesting topic. Hopefully that will change soon. I'm also terrible at
keeping track of what I did. I think this shot was with the Canon 50/1.2 LTM
lens (added to https://photos.app.goo.gl/TR5Ud27mgL5cvdoJ8 ). Only ACR auto
processing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXRGiTCGz4yxzS2o9

The one major difference with your examples is they are not as close up. I'm
wondering if you got closer how that would change the visual character of the
lenses as the background bokeh is greater when close? You also shot in harsher
light.

My current best vintage lenses are the 8 element Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 and
the Canon 50mm F1.2 LTM. The Oly 55/1.2 does not match these two lenses for
character.

WayneS