Re: [OM] Not so Fuzzy

Subject: Re: [OM] Not so Fuzzy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 14:30:56 -0700
On 8/27/2022 9:35 AM, DZDub wrote:
On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 12:00 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ProCap on the OM-1 is a bit faster frame rate than on E-M1 bodies. It
works reasonably well with tracking AF, but
doesn't keep up quickly with fast movement towards or away. Bird AF
improves that enormously. I really saw the
difference when shooting the Cabbage White flutterby in the same place,
same gear. I think MikeG needs to nag OMS into
adding flutterby AF. 😁

I diddled with ProCap (L only) after seeing your hummer.  I'm a bit
ambivalent.  It's similar to Walt's analogy of using dynamite to kill all
the fish in the pond just to get to the good ones.  The analogy is false in
crucial ways, since there is no harm, other than the loss of time, in
deleted dozens of shots to get the winner in the mix.  I already spend so
much more time at the computer than the shutter that it strains my
enthusiasm.  Personally, I don't think it increased the odds over some form
of continuous shooting, high or low, with butterflies and bumblers, but
hummers and clearwings -- yes!  I'm glad to have it.

There are at least a couple of ways to ease the pain:

The first is retraining the trigger finger and/or the brain operating it. 😁

1a. Think through your settings. Menu C1=>L Settings=>ProCap=> "Pre-shutter Frames" and "Frame Count Limiter". If you set them to 7 and 2, for example, you never have more than 9 frames in a group.

1b. Set for longer frame counts, then, if nothing is happening, release the half press, which clears the buffer without saving anything, then half press again.

This is where it's better than simple burst modes. It's possible to capture the moment(s) without saving anywhere near as many frames.

The second may also be a retraining of brains and fingers. Learn to go through the stream, quickly rating them, fingers on say 3, 4 and 5. (Could be 1, 3 and 5, but three keys together under my fingers works for me.) Dump the 3s. For me, a second pass tends to resolve the 4s into 3 or 5, dump 3s again. This tends to get it down to a few good ones to look at more carefully. ("Oops, great pose, but not quite in focus", etc.)

. . .
The PLeica version is darn close, but for the lack of ProCapM with it on
the E-M1 bodies and the Oly lens's ability to use teleconverters.

I'm unaware of the ability to use a teleconverter with this lens.  Olympus'
website doesn't seem to push that, not that I've studied it carefully.  Are
they coy, or did I miss it?

Y'all looked away as it went by. 😛 <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=_8273483.jpg>

Integrated even into EXIF, where presence of the TC is part of the lens
description and changed aperture is correct.

Here's a variety of shots with the combo. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Oly100-400wMC14>

Remember, even on mild days, long shots are softened be the air. It's clear in this set, where relatively close subjects are quite sharp, distant birds, not so much.

We're getting close to our big fall trip. I'm thinking of carrying 12-200
on E-M1 II and 100-400 with MC14 on OM-1. I hope I can discipline myself to
switch to the long lens once I get to about 140 mm on the short one,
avoiding the slow slide in IQ on the 12-200 above about 150 mm.

Ooo, I just popped for one of those (12-200)!  Reviews seem generally
favorable with some concern about edge sharpness.  The extent of the
cropping I do has grown quite a lot with the 100-400 and having 20mp to
work with.  Edge sharpness is mostly thrown away these days.

Not a big deal for me, either. Not only cropping, but so many of my subjects are only in the middle parts of the frame. Areas OoF anyway don't matter

  It was going
to be either that (12-200) or 40-150 PRO.  There are just a lot of
conveniences if the 12-200 works out

I just couldn't be happy with a 40-150. Got one ages ago in a package deal with a Pen. the zoom range just doesn't work for me. Long gone.

OTOH, the 12-200 just isn't going to compete with the 40-150 at the pixel level - except 12-39 and 150-200, where it's much better. 😉 I got a lot of good use from the Oly 14-150, then the Panny 14-140. I switched to the Panny for OIS on the IBIS-less GM5.

Funny how we get spoiled. On film, I hardly went wide beyond 28 mm. More recently, I found myself missing 12 mm when using a 14-xxx lens.

as I'm also shooting with a Pen F these days too.

Looking forward to seeing what works well for you on your trip.  My wife
just retired in July.  We're talking about our first "off-season" trip to
some place that I hope will not be burning when we get there.

We're spring and fall travelers. We mostly stay home summers, when everywhere else is crowded and too hot and/or muggy, and our mild, marine layer moderated weather is just lovely.

Hoping for nice weather in Brooklyn, mid-Sept. At least the AirB&B reviews praise the
AC. 😁

I hope your trip is wonderful!

Long View Moose