Re: [OM] (More) Glorious Imperfection (eye test II) [was Painterly vinta

Subject: Re: [OM] (More) Glorious Imperfection (eye test II) [was Painterly vintage Lenses]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 01:08:27 -0700
On 8/8/2022 11:21 PM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
Another interesting collection Moose,

Thanks!

I like the Velvet 28 (at least with that subject).

If I were looking to make a great photo of the subject, which I was not, I don't think any one quite does it. I would likely combine two or three. Here's a, very different, example that I like a lot. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/SIMA/HydraMix.htm>

I presume these shots are on a full frame body?

Yup. If you get Ctein's newsletter, the one that just came out features his reasons for using µ4/3, and not FF. I agree 100%, for general photography.I have prints of his, including 16x20, made with 12 MP µ4/3 sensors, that are spectacular. I also have 16x20s from my µ4/3 bodies that I think don't give anything away to FF.

But for work with vintage and ALT lenses, I use Sony FF bodies. A lot of their
character may be lost on a small sensor.

I started before CaNikon came out with their mirrorless systems. Which of this trio is better for general photography, I have no idea. For my purposes, I'm sure there's no difference, and I have a LOT of E-mount adapters. 😁

The Soft Focus lenses work well on the smaller sensor, and I expect the Velvets would, too. The Sweets and Twists would lose much of their character.

Any LBs that I buy now are in µ4/3 mount and I put a thin, inexpensive µ4/3=>E adapter on them. Unless, of course, there's a deal. I got my Velvet 56 cheap in Nikon F mount.

F. F. Alt Moose