Re: [OM] Not so Fuzzy

Subject: Re: [OM] Not so Fuzzy
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:35:34 -0500
On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 12:00 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ProCap on the OM-1 is a bit faster frame rate than on E-M1 bodies. It
> works reasonably well with tracking AF, but
> doesn't keep up quickly with fast movement towards or away. Bird AF
> improves that enormously. I really saw the
> difference when shooting the Cabbage White flutterby in the same place,
> same gear. I think MikeG needs to nag OMS into
> adding flutterby AF. 😁

I diddled with ProCap (L only) after seeing your hummer.  I'm a bit
ambivalent.  It's similar to Walt's analogy of using dynamite to kill all
the fish in the pond just to get to the good ones.  The analogy is false in
crucial ways, since there is no harm, other than the loss of time, in
deleted dozens of shots to get the winner in the mix.  I already spend so
much more time at the computer than the shutter that it strains my
enthusiasm.  Personally, I don't think it increased the odds over some form
of continuous shooting, high or low, with butterflies and bumblers, but
hummers and clearwings -- yes!  I'm glad to have it.

> > but I can see how integral the 100-400 was to these.
>
> Yeah, ya gots ta have da reach.
>
> > I have no other tool that compares in areas where it works the best.
>
> The PLeica version is darn close, but for the lack of ProCapM with it on
> the E-M1 bodies and the Oly lens's ability to use teleconverters.

I'm unaware of the ability to use a teleconverter with this lens.  Olympus'
website doesn't seem to push that, not that I've studied it carefully.  Are
they coy, or did I miss it?

> We're getting close to our big fall trip. I'm thinking of carrying 12-200
> on E-M1 II and 100-400 with MC14 on OM-1. I hope I can discipline myself to
> switch to the long lens once I get to about 140 mm on the short one,
> avoiding the slow slide in IQ on the 12-200 above about 150 mm.

Ooo, I just popped for one of those (12-200)!  Reviews seem generally
favorable with some concern about edge sharpness.  The extent of the
cropping I do has grown quite a lot with the 100-400 and having 20mp to
work with.  Edge sharpness is mostly thrown away these days.  It was going
to be either that (12-200) or 40-150 PRO.  There are just a lot of
conveniences if the 12-200 works out as I'm also shooting with a Pen F
these days too.

Looking forward to seeing what works well for you on your trip.  My wife
just retired in July.  We're talking about our first "off-season" trip to
some place that I hope will not be burning when we get there.

Joel W.