[OM] Subscription models run amuck

From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:48:52 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Well yesterday I heard of BMW's new plan to charge $18.00 per month to keep the
seat warmers working!!!  Really??!!!!    I looked it up to be sure and indeed
it was true--not yet implemented in US but they are thinking about it. There
may be options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for
“unlimited” access for $415.  Mind you the hardware is all there; it is just a
software implementation.  Can you imagine missing a payment in New England in
Jan with BMW sending an over the air signal to disable the feature and freezing
your arse off??  Very Adobe like.

Can you imagine paying north of 50K and having this happen?  I will not buy
another Bimmer.

Today we get a message from this very fancy ranch (rather expensive to start)
that they will provide a special gel pad enabled saddle for a daily
subscription fee.  Mind you the daily rate on this place is already through the
roof.  (not my first choice to go, but long story).  I would think tuchuses
(Tuchi???)  of a certain age are entitled to certain considerations from the
get-go and should not require an extra subscription.   Am I wrong??

 ASStounded, Mike