[OM] IMG: La Manga / Carthagena

Subject: [OM] IMG: La Manga / Carthagena
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:48:44 +0200
After the Romans destroyed the original Carthage, in what is now Tunisia,
during the Punic Wars, they founded New Carthage in their Iberian empire. That
city is today known as Carthagena and lies about 150 km south of Alicante, on
the Mediterranean coast in the Murcia Autonomous Region. Not far from there is
an area called La Manga, with numerous golf courses, hotels, apartment
buildings and hideous urban sprawl populated by pale Northern Europeans. But
away from the coast, there are some interesting villages which retain the local
character.

A couple of weeks ago my wife played in a golf tournament down there, so we
made a weekend out of it, staying in a nice hotel right on the golf course. We
brought my bike with us, so while she was playing golf, I explored the area on
my bike. And on the way home, we stopped for a few hours in Cartagena, visiting
the impressive Roman amphitheatre, currently being restored to its former glory.

The result is a small gallery, from the villages of Los Belones, Portmán and La
Unión, and Cartagena itself. The villages used to have mining and fishing as
their main activities. I suspect that today, the beaches, recreation and
retirement provide most of the income. Have a look here at a part of Spain most
of you probably have not seen before:

http://www.frozenlight.eu/lamanga_july2022/
<http://www.frozenlight.eu/lamanga_july2022/>

Cheers,