Re: [OM] Subscription models run amuck

From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:51:43 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<And yes, we don't like our cars to be computer operated, but that ship has
long
<<ago sailed

Who said that?  Not the point and using technology in cars had been low hanging
fruit for quite awhile.  The point is the company is using rather underhanded
"nibbles" after the sale (I suspect to the unwary) to generate cash cows.  That
is one of the oldest negotiating tactics in the book.  I recall buying our
Bimmer and a nearby dealer to the one we were at had the exact car tricked out
exactly as preferred in a manual  (does driving a manual correlate with some
affection for MF?)  in a color preferred by the CAO. (Chief Aesthetics
officer). " Oh, BTW, the mats are extra at $400.00."  The manager read my
expression and said, yeah, we will throw that in.  He admitted that goes over
like a lead balloon with frugal New Englanders.
The seat warmer subscription will NEVER fly in New England.

 I think you may have misconstrued my tone.   Feigned outrage makes for a more
entertaining post.   As long as the seat warmer subscription model leads to
someone else's tuckus being frozen, that is only amusing if  perhaps slightly
irritating.  Outrage needs to be preserved for appropriate rare circumstances
such as when your own tuckus has been frozen.

<<I like the Adobe model.

I prefer Topaz model.  If don't get an upgrade everything works just fine.  PS
certainly is better than it was  and still worth the cost, IMO, but I don't
like that everyone wants a subscription for software that might be used a few
times a year.  I don't think I am in the minority here.

<<<Spite. Nose. Face?

Not really.  Again an attempt to jazz up  my post but there are many reasons
the car just isn't on the next short list besides this.  The low profile run
flat tires are a bad match for icy, pot holed NE roads.  Probably have been
through 3 on each wheel. due to pot holes.  ZERO trouble with the  Tahoe tires
of course. (apples, oranges)   The cars have very expensive parts and have
required dramatically more repair than our infinity.  I think they are much
over-rated though do drive well on dry roads.

<<<Should that 95# teenage daughter pay for it?
Yes,  if she doesn't wish to be super saddle sore after 6 hours in the saddle
for several days.  No real way you could know that.  For those long trips, gel
pads are always good.  Marnie will back me up on that and though she isn't a
teenager weighs about 105 lbs.
  It was true 30 years ago as well.  That place was the only place that kept
our deposit when we had to cancel due to Covid, so they don't deserve the
benefit of the doubt.  All the places on LaPalma cheerfully refunded everything
promptly.

Sticking to my guns, Mike