[OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 25: Hogueras de San Juan

Subject: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 25: Hogueras de San Juan
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 22:12:10 +0200
For some strange reason, June 24th, midsummer, is celebrated heavily in our
part of Spain. I say “strange” because I am used to this holiday being
celebrated in Denmark, where the nights are short and the days are long (flip
side of winter) so there are ancient traditions of celebrating the summer
solstice. In countries like Germany or France this holiday does not exist, but
for some reason down here, where the difference between winter and summer is
much smaller than in northern Europe, it is a public holiday, and not only
that—the entire week leading up to the day is a huge party. The celebrations
were cancelled in 2020 and 2021 for reasons we all know, so this year they were
bigger than ever. I do not enjoy the crowd and the noise the same way I did
when I moved here 15 years ago, so I just photographed the installations that
were to be burned at midnight on the 24th. This is a particularly weird aspect
of life here: all this work, just to go up in flames in about 1/2 hour. I have
not yet figured out how to interpret this on the sociological level. Anyway,
here are some images of the “hogueras” in Alicante:

http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=3674
<http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=3674>

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman