Re: [OM] Paph stack

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph stack
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:53:43 -0700
At 12/30/2021 04:37 PM, Mike wrote:
>A Bridge Too Far Moose writes:
>
><<But it sure isn't worth it. Just don't screw it up in the first place.
>Perhaps
><<save a copy, until EXIF surgery is a success?
>
>This EXIF stuff can be very mysterious and seems to have very little cohesive
>organization.   It was never really worth the time invested but now it is a
>nut that must be cracked.  The data thus far suggests the Sony maker section
>fields may be filled if empty but then not altered by
>any exif surgery tools.  Curiously the TAP AF adapters and knock offs use that
>section to fool the camera that an older Sony lens is attached via a Sony AF
>adapter.   Thus exif will never be totally correct using those adapters.
>
>I believe you have pointed to a solution.  I increasingly used more powerful
>surgical instruments and then even tried to enlist a more expert surgeon to
>perform the exif surgery but instead should have changed the surgical
>procedure.
>Instead of bypass surgery should have proceeded with a transplant.  I believe
>that is within my scope of practice.  The raw file should  be uncorrupted and
>I should do a quick conversion to jpg then modify said file with Namethatlens
>using
>the Vivitar S1 90-180 profile.   Then use whatever editor to fix the aperture
>used and max aperture. I can then copy the exif and export to the proper file.
> Photme was correct to grey out the "Lens type" and "Lens ID" fields, but that
>seems like a bizarre restriction.  Jexiftoolgui which is only limited by
>exiftools
>allows for lens profiles too in the Sony makers section but presumptively only
>if the fields are empty as it will not change them.
>
>Pass the scalpel, Mike

Here is a scalpel

There is a linux C++ utility called exiv2.
https://www.exiv2.org/

OK this is not for normal people, but if you have any Linux experience read on.
You can use this on Windows files if you install Debian on WSL (windows system
for Linux).
You can access windows photo files using /mnt/c/ for instance to get the C:\
files.

You can create a file (example: cmd.txt) to set or modify data and run "exiv2
-m cmd.txt" with modify commands in cmd.txt as show on the sample page.
 From within the Debian App terminal windows you can get, build, and install
the utility via:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake python3 zlib1g zlib1g-dev
libexpat1-dev
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/Exiv2/exiv2.git
cd exiv2
mkdir build && cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
cmake --build .
ctest --verbose
sudo cmake --build . --target install

example: I have my photos on D:\photos\...

exiv2 /mnt/d/photos/tmp/2021-dec-23/7R307305.ARW
File name       : /mnt/d/photos/tmp/2021-dec-23/7R307305.ARW
File size       : 43207168 Bytes
MIME type       : image/tiff
Image size      : 8000 x 5320
Thumbnail       : image/jpeg, 8551 Bytes
Camera make     : SONY
Camera model    : ILCE-7RM3
Image timestamp : 2021:12:23 11:35:53
File number     :