Re: [OM] Paph stack

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph stack
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:37:39 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
A Bridge Too Far Moose writes:

<<But it sure isn't worth it. Just don't screw it up in the first place.
Perhaps
<<save a copy, until EXIF surgery is a success?

This EXIF stuff can be very mysterious and seems to have very little cohesive
organization.   It was never really worth the time invested but now it is a nut
that must be cracked.  The data thus far suggests the Sony maker section fields
may be filled if empty but then not altered by
any exif surgery tools.  Curiously the TAP AF adapters and knock offs use that
section to fool the camera that an older Sony lens is attached via a Sony AF
adapter.   Thus exif will never be totally correct using those adapters.

I believe you have pointed to a solution.  I increasingly used more powerful
surgical instruments and then even tried to enlist a more expert surgeon to
perform the exif surgery but instead should have changed the surgical procedure.
Instead of bypass surgery should have proceeded with a transplant.  I believe
that is within my scope of practice.  The raw file should  be uncorrupted and I
should do a quick conversion to jpg then modify said file with Namethatlens
using
the Vivitar S1 90-180 profile.   Then use whatever editor to fix the aperture
used and max aperture. I can then copy the exif and export to the proper file.
Photme was correct to grey out the "Lens type" and "Lens ID" fields, but that
seems like a bizarre restriction.  Jexiftoolgui which is only limited by
exiftools
allows for lens profiles too in the Sony makers section but presumptively only
if the fields are empty as it will not change them.

Pass the scalpel, Mike