Re: [OM] Paph stack

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph stack
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:52:47 -0800
A Bridge Too Far Moose writes:

<<But it sure isn't worth it. Just don't screw it up in the first place. Perhaps
<<save a copy, until EXIF surgery is a success?

This EXIF stuff can be very mysterious and seems to have very little cohesive
organization.

That is intentional, to make it flexible for situations not forseen, and esp.
for the Maker sections.

It was never really worth the time invested but now it is a nut that must be
cracked. The data thus far suggests the Sony maker section fields may be filled
if empty but then not altered by
any exif surgery tools.

Anyone who codes can read and parse an EXIF file; it's just text, change it, and save it. But if using Exiftools, there are limitations. Again, unless the tool uses hex IDs, it can't work fully with the Sony Maker files.

Curiously the TAP AF adapters and knock offs use that section to fool the
camera that an older Sony lens is attached via a Sony AF adapter.   Thus exif
will never be totally correct using those adapters.

I believe you have pointed to a solution.

I don't know why you are so resistant to the simple solution of .bat files.
=====================
@echo on
:begin
if _%1_==__ goto end
echo Processing %1...
C:\ {--- path to -- \exiftool} -FocalLength="180 mm" -LensType="Vivitar S1 90-180/4.5" -LensModel="Vivitar S1 90-180/4.5" -Lens="Vivitar S1 90-180/4.5"  -FNumber="5.6" -MaxApertureValue="4.5" -overwrite_original %1
shift
goto begin
:end
pause
=====================
Why not try the above on a copy, before any other EXIF manipulation? I have not as yet had this solution not work. If SmugMug is smart, seeing there is no lens in the Sony section, it will default to display the value in the general section.

Then select the file(s) you want to change in Windoze Explorer, right click, select Send To, and click on a bat file. [It doesn't seem to be possible to take a screen shot of this., but it sure is simple.]

I can't believe this isn't easier than the way you are pursuing.

I increasingly used more powerful surgical instruments and then even tried to
enlist a more expert surgeon to perform the exif surgery but instead should
have changed the surgical procedure.
Instead of bypass surgery should have proceeded with a transplant.  I believe
that is within my scope of practice.  The raw file should  be uncorrupted and I
should do a quick conversion to jpg then modify said file with Namethatlens
using
the Vivitar S1 90-180 profile.   Then use whatever editor to fix the aperture used and max
aperture. I can then copy the exif and export to the proper file.  Photme was correct to grey out
the "Lens type" and "Lens ID" fields, but that seems like a bizarre
restriction.  Jexiftoolgui which is only limited by exiftools
allows for lens profiles too in the Sony makers section but presumptively only
if the fields are empty as it will not change them.

Simplicity Moose