Re: [OM] Paph stack

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph stack
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:33:21 -0700
At 12/30/2021 10:24 PM, Moose wrote:
>As portable C++, I would guess it can somehow be used under Windoze?

Caveat: I have not tried this as I find a bash terminal so much easier, than
windoz cmd prompt.
See below ***

https://www.exiv2.org/download.html

download
<https://www.exiv2.org/builds/exiv2-0.27.5-2019msvc64.zip>exiv2-0.27.5-2019msvc64.zip

unzip with 7z
The readme says how

To run exiv2.exe from the bundle:
c:\> cd <bundle>\bin
<bundle>\bin> exiv2

Add the bin to your PATH:
c:\> cd <bundle>\bin
<bundle>\bin>set PATH=%CD%;%PATH%

*** However my recommendation is to just use WSL and install ConEmu terminal to
access it. You have full access to windoes files from that terminal.

https://conemu.github.io/
https://conemu.github.io/en/wsl.html

Install the Debian (or Ubuntu) app for WSL first, then run the Debian App,
reboot Windose, then you can select that terminal task in ConEmu from the +
drop down: {WSL} then {Debian} to run ConEmu as terminal for Debian. From there
you can do the build and install I outlined previously. You can set the default
directory that conemu uses for that task (the default start directory is
/mnt/c/Users/<you>). You can make it the default terminal task or add a
shortcut to it.  You can now just edit a cmd file for exiv2 within windows via
any windoz editor.

ConEmu behaves similar to Putty. Double click on something highlights it (or
click drag select), right click to copy it, then right click pastes it, etc. or
you can copy and past from anywhere and paste it. Being a Linux terminal you
have access to history. Ever run a Win Cmd prompt and wish you could remember
what you did previously?

Once you get WSL and ConEmu setup you can pilot around windows with cd
/mnt/c/... so you have full access to windows files. For example for me:

cd /mnt/d/photos/
where my photos are and run exiv2 on any of them with a modify file. So much
better than a standard windows cmd prompt and ugly bat files (ughhly, more than
ugly).

cd ~
goes to home directory where .bashrc is located.
 From there you can follow the build outlined in previous email. Just copy and
paste the commands from that email into the terminal.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install
https://conemu.github.io/en/SettingsTasks.html

bash | WayneS