Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 13:58:45 -0400
Papanek died in 1998 which was a time when a really large OS was about 1 million lines of code (or less). 4 years later, in 1992, IBM's OS/2 was 3 million lines of code. My last check on Windows was that it's guesstimated to now be about 30 million lines of code. The number has grown to the point that the code is no longer fully testable. Testing is controlled by statistical means. A very large portion of that code is device drivers. You can bet that testing obsolete PCMCIA hardware in what is now an obsolete software environment is pretty low on Microsoft's totem pole.

Papanek's goals were admirable but he was never even close to facing the complexity of today's hardware and software environment. You seem to have a predilection for tilting at windmills. I'm afraid you are destined for disappointment. Some of the past must be abandoned to make way for the future.

Chuck Norcutt