Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 07:57:05 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I have a couple of vertical WinXP machines that I've been thinking of
dusting off and using as an office machine.  I can do that as I have SP1-3 and
the last security updates saved on a hard drive.  But installing any malware
software would take the better part of a day with dialup.

     That OrCAD SCH/PCB package I mentioned is the last DOS version, and it
works best on my Win95 machine running on DOS mode.  Many professional
designers still consider it to be superior to any of the Windows versions.  The
nice thing about Win95 is that when you reboot it in DOS it is NOT using an
emulator, so a screen refresh for a multi-layer board is instantaneous.  I have
the last full Win95 install package that comes with USB support.

     And yes, WinXP works just fine for everything except a few webpages here
and there.  With AVAST returning to supporting it fully I don't have to worry
about viruses, etc.  They openly admitted that dropping support for WinXP was a
big mistake.

>> Now I understand the reason you're so intent on continuing to run on XP.
>> But running XP on the net or Win 7 on the net without all of its "important"
>> security fixes is truly dangerous.
>
>I still have one computer running XP for legacy peripheral support,
>but I have it blocked for web access. I gave it a static IP and I have
>that IP blocked in the router, so it is only on the LAN.
>
>My desktop computers are WIN7 and they cannot get upgraded because of
>software and peripheral support. The laptop is fully upgraded to the
>latest/greatest POS. Another laptop is running LINUX for another piece
>of software.
>
>Of the bunch, XP remains my favorite. It works great.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson