Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Win7 Problem
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 06:21:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Final note: if you want to use internet you need to have an up-to-date OS,
>this is the price to pay for the convenience

     The WinXP emulator is not stable, and I cannot run most of my enginering
software with it.  And to no surprise, Win7 won't even let me install Corel8,
let alone use it.  PageMaker cannot be used as Win7 shuts it down shortly after
launching.  I would have to spend US$40K-50K to replace the software that I can
no longer use.  Just look for yourself what it costs for a current full version
of OrCAD with PSpice, schematic capture, and PCB layout.

     This is forced obsolescence, and 19CL has been taking an active rôle.  At
the coffee shop I used to go to they talked the owner into using a NEW!
IMPROVED! wifi hub that they could configure remotely.  19CL configured it so
that it would not allow the earlier wifi protocols.  I had to buy a wifi
adapter that plugged into a USB port.  But then they interrogated the users and
blocked any machine using an OS earlier than Win7, even earlier Apple machines.
 The Apple users got after the owner, and 19CL set up a separate channel for
them.  I was able to use it for a short period until 19CL discovered my WinXP
OS and shut me off.  I struggled with this for a couple of months and finally
stopped going there, as did others.

     At the coffee shop I go to now I can even use an old Compaq 4160 notebook
with Win98/SE.  The owner there went through the difficulties with 19CL and
replaced their wifi hub with a third party device, which works fine.

     The only real risk is in foolishly being a chump and submitting to forced
obsolescence.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson