[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:35:50 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I was brought up by a mother who was firm in her conviction that girls with
> pierced ears were 'common'
So the Papist hatred lives on, after all these centuries. How nice to
know how prejudice lives on, even after the original reason may have
been long forgotten.
> and might also do dreadful things like wearing denim.
> Nice girls wore clip-on earrings of course.

So you unquestioningly adopt your mother's prejudices?

My first wife grew up in the clip-on culture. She couldn't believe it
how much more comfortable it was when she got her ears pierced. And
there are soooo many more possibilities for design.
> I am now surrounded by pleasant enough gels who will cheerfully  pierce
> anything.
> Sometimes in class. Needle, cork and cigarette lighter.
> And then there's the 14yo girl who yells, "Like me new tatt sir?" waving a
> half-bared butterflied bum at you.
> I have wandered on to a different planet.

Nah. You've simply stood still while the world has changed around you.

I think Nathan is wrong when he says tattoos are not acceptable in
Western culture. They aren't acceptable to the  pretentious old folks,
which they will say is "taste". My younger son has a few tattoos. As it
happens, he designed them all himself, and they are rather good.
However, most of his peers have tattoos too*. I can just hear them in 50
years, dissin' "those kids" who don't like body art.

Moose

* Sneaky tom Petty reference.