[OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 29: babies, boobs, beach etc.
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:42:05 +0200
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for looking.

As for the earrings, I sense a cultural divide here. As Moose
explained, in the Latin countries baby girls always have their ears
pierced. My wife is Puerto Rican, and we had a hefty discussion about
it when our daughter (now 14) was born. In our case, we waited till
she was 2 or so, but actually it is better to do it earlier, since the
nerves are less developed and the baby feels virtually no pain.

You cannot compare it with tatoos. Earrings on women are universally
acceptable in every Western culture (and I suspect most other cultures
too), while tatoos are not. Furthermore, if the girl decides not to
wear earrings once she is older, she can simply take them off and
nothing will be visible. Obviously, removing a tatoo is a different
kettle of fish.

Most of the Spanish and other Latin women I know would not dream of
going outside without earrings, other jewellery and in most cases also
make-up.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain