[OM] Re: The rattlesnake

Subject: [OM] Re: The rattlesnake
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:43:38 +0100
No joke, Chuck.  I'm sure that there are loads of snakes in Florida,
but not much vegetation in which they might hide in Tampa or on the
beach at Fort de Soto.  We did visit the inland parks, such as Crystal
River/Springs, but we generally avoided long grass.

That visit entailed 2 encounters with snakes.  As well as the one I
described this morning, my wife and 2 small sons were in a canoe on a
small river when they drifted into an overhanging tree.  I was alerted
to excitement by their calls but went on reading my newspaper about 50
yards away ...

... it turned out that there had been a snake on one of the branches
of the overhanging tree and they got quite close to it.  My wife had
the bright idea of knocking it off the branch, perhaps to drown it,
only to be seriously shocked that it swam towards her!  We learned a
bit more about snakes from that; and I learned not to be reading a
newspaper when they were having "exciting" times :-)

I was in sooo much pooh!

Chris